Posted on Aug 22, 2015 by Euphoria Staff
As the summer heat and humidity escalate remember to stay hydrated. A top tip from our wellness expert Helga Hefner is to cool down with fruit-and herb-infused water.
“This is a perfect way to help quench your thirst on a hot summer day,” Helga says. “These waters taste great and will keep you hydrated, which is so important for the brain and the body to function optimally.”
Here, Helga shares with us her current favorite fruit- and herb-infused water recipe:
Strawberry, Orange and Mint Infused Water
2 sprigs of mint (8-10 leaves)
fresh filtered or spring water
- Carefully slice one orange into thin rounds to release citrus juices with vitamin C. Save a few slices for garnish.
- Remove the green tops of the strawberries and slice each berry in half. Strawberries are potent with antioxidants and will also add sweetness to the infused water.
- Add the oranges and berries to the pitcher.
- Over the large pitcher, squeeze and slightly twist the mint leaves to release the oil and then drop the full leaves into the concoction. Mint not only tastes and smells delicious; it also contains vitamin A.
- Top off the pitcher with filtered or spring water.
- Set in direct sunlight or in the refrigerator for one to two hours for the water to take on the nutrients and flavors of the ingredients; the infused water will stay fresh in the refrigerator for up to 24 hours.
- Once infused, pour into a glass ensuring the water is room temperature as the practice of Ayurveda doesn’t believe in iced or cold beverages; garnish with an orange slice and enjoy!
- When the water in the pitcher is a quarter full, add more water and place it back in the fridge to infuse again.
- Use a mason jar to make individual fruit- and herb-infused waters. You can add as much fruit and herbs as they like.
- Set up a fruit- and herb-infused water bar at your next party to encourage happy hydration.
Share your favorite refreshing recipes with your friends on Facebook using the hashtag #LivingAveda
Looking for other ways to hydrate? Try these Aveda favorites for face, body and hair: